FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR ONLINE STUDENTS
- Which software does WVC use for online courses?
- How do I access my online courses?`
- Do I need an e-mail account to take an online course?
- Do online courses require that I come to campus?
- What computer basic skills do I need before taking online classes?
- Do I need high-speed Internet service?
- Will I take exams and quizzes online?
- I have logged on to WVC ANGEL or Canvas, but one of my courses is not on the list. What's wrong?
- If I get behind in a course or need help from my instructor, what should I do?
- When do online classes begin?
- What is the difference between VC and WO courses?
- Where do I buy textbooks for my online course?
- Will my computer work with WVC online courses?
- How do I contact my online instructor?
- How do I get help?
- Will my instructor know I've logged into the course site and that I've begun work on the course requirements?
- I don't know how to use ANGEL or Canvas, how do I get started with an online course?
- How do I drop my online course?
- How long are ANGEL or Canvas courses available after a term officially ends?
- How do I access advising services?
- Can any special accommodations be made for students with a disability who are taking online courses?
- How do I register for classes online?
- How do I access my student records online?
- How do I access my WVC student email?
1. Which software does WVC use for online courses?
Some instructors use a system called ANGEL and others use Canvas to manage online courses. Some of them also use websites at http://commons.wvc.edu/
2. How do I access my online courses?
To access ANGEL support course:
- Login page: http://angel.wvc.edu/
- User name: Your student ID number
- Default password: The first five characters of your last name in lower cases, with no punctuation. Example would be: Johnson=johns, Lee = lee, O’Reilly=oriel.
- Remember to change your password after logging in the first time. To do so, in the margin, click the Preference icon. Then click Change Password. Also make sure the email address is listed in your personal information is correct.
To access Canvas support course:
- Login page: http://wvc.instructure.com
- User name: Your student ID number
- Default password: The first six characters of your last name in lower cases, with no punctuation. Example would be: Johnson=johnso, Lee = leelee, O'Reilly=oriell.
- Remember to change your password after logging in the first time. To do so, look in the upper right of the page, click Settings link and then click Edit Settings. You will see in the center of the page an option the change password.
3. Do I need an e-mail account to take an online course?
Yes. A WVC e-mail account is created for you when you are accepted to WVC. If you prefer to use your personal e-mail account (ex: Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc), make sure the registration office has your current e-mail address.
4. Do online courses require that I come to campus?
Some do. Some courses are conducted completely online and others have some required face-to-face meetings. Make sure you clearly understand requirements listed in the footnote for each course you are enrolled in, see course listing, or check with your instructor for clarifications on specific meeting dates, times, and places.
5. What computer basic skills do I need before taking online classes?
You need the ability to use a keyboard and mouse; to type papers; to use a Web browser; to send and receive e-mails; to open, save and manage files; and to learn how to use new Web-based tools. These skills are learned through practice, so don't let them stop you from taking an online course if you are strong in other skills such as reading and writing, and you are motivated to develop the computer skills you need to succeed. Do a self-assessment to find out if online learning is for you.
6. Do I need high-speed Internet service?
Any Internet connection will work, but dial-up modem connection is slow and files/pages may take a long time to load. Having reliable access to a high speed Internet connection is preferable. Remember that WVC has computer labs students can use while on campus both in Wenatchee and Omak.
7. Will I take exams and quizzes online?
Most courses include online tests. The instructor may have you participate in graded online discussions, and/or take online assessments (quizzes or exams). The instructor may also require that you take these assessments in the presence of a proctor or a trusted supervisor. The instructor will give you specific guidelines for course activities including taking exams and quizzes.
8. I have logged on to WVC ANGEL or Canvas, but one of my courses is not on the list. What's wrong?
One of three possible answers may apply:
- Only courses you are taking through WVC will show.
- The course is missing because your instructor hasn’t made it available to students yet.
- You are not officially registered for the course. Check with the registrar (Wenatchee: 509.682.6833, Omak: 509.422.7803)
9. If I get behind in a course or need help from my instructor, what should I do?
Your instructor will provide several methods of contact. Use them! Contact your instructor(s) to explain your situation as soon as possible
10. When do online classes begin?
Some online WVC Online courses are coded as VC and others are codes as WO. There are slight differences in when these courses start and end, drop dates, etc. Generally speaking, online courses run on the same calendar as face-to-face courses. Check the online course schedule.
11. What is the difference between VC and WO courses?
Courses with section code of VC are taught online by WVC faculty using ANGEL and/or instructor website. These courses are only available to WVC students. Courses coded with WO are taught by faculty from other Washington state community colleges. These courses are available to students at several different colleges throughout the state. There are also differences in when these courses start and end; and where to find information about textbooks. See question 10 and 12.
12. Where do I buy textbooks for my online course?
- For courses coded with VC - Books are available through WVC bookstore: Your instructor may also have the ISBN posted in the ANGEL classroom. Alternatively, you can click here to check the list of textbooks information.
- For courses coded with WO – You need to order books through the eCampus bookstore. Go to the WashingtonOnline Web site and follow the on-screen instructions on how to look up your textbook information and link to eCampus Bookstore.
13. Will my computer work with WVC online courses?
Most PC (Windows-based machines) and Macintosh computers made in the last five years and connected to the Internet by at least a 56K dial-up service should work fine. Be aware that you will use ANGEL, a Web-based platform used to manage online courses. ANGEL works well on a PC with Internet Explorer and Mozilla. Macintosh users may consider downloading Mozilla Web-browser for Macintosh (Safari may not work well with ANGEL). See current hardware and software requirements.
14. How do I contact my online instructor?
Contact information for your instructor should be available on your course syllabus. If you are not able to locate your instructor, you can contact the WVC Distance Learning program: 509.682.6718.
15. How do I get help?
This depends on the type of help you are seeking.
16. Will my instructor know I've logged into the course site and that I've begun work on the course requirements?
Yes. ANGEL has tracking capability which keeps a record of your online course activities. Most instructors will also require an initial message and some acknowledgement that you have read and understood the course syllabus.
17. I don't know how to use ANGEL or Canvas, how to get started with an online course?
- Discuss any concerns with your faculty adviser or the distance learning staff. If necessary, register for "SDS 102 Online Readiness" course a 1-credit course that will prepare you to take distance courses at a later date.
- Complete ANGEL’s “Week Zero” Tutorial.
18. How do I drop my online course?
Check the calendar for online classes to find if you may qualify for a refund, and a last day to withdraw or change to audit.
19. How long are ANGEL or Canvas courses available after a term officially ends?
Usually one week after grades are posted.
20. How do I access advising services?
See online advising tools. Contact 509.682.6830 (Wenatchee campus) or 509.422.7849 (Omak campus).
21. Can any special accommodations be made for students with a disability who are taking online courses?
Yes. Whether you are planning to take classes on campus or online, there may be issues of access to web-based instruction and participation that should be explored as early as possible. WVC will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified students with a disability, in accordance with Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act laws, the Rehabilitation ACT of 1973 and Washington State Law. Contact the Special Populations Office 509.682.6854, TTY/TTD 509.682.6853, email: CBoyd@wvc.edu. Providing your name, email and/or phone number will enable Special Population Coordinator to contact you. Visit Disability Services web site.
22. How do I register for classes online?
Use Course Finder tools and make sure you clearly understand the course description and requirements listed in the footnote for each course you want to enroll in. To start registration: Go to Student Kiosk and choose “Web Registration.”
23. How do I access my student records online?
You can access your records online by going to Student Kiosk and choose appropriate options like unofficial transcript, address change, tuition and fee records, etc.
24. How do I access my WVC student email?
- Go to https://mail.student.wvc.edu/
- Your username is the same as your WVC e-mail address which consists of your first initial, last name and the last four digits of your student ID number followed by @student.wvc.edu Example: the email address of Robert Smith would be RSmith1234@student.wvc.edu
- Your password is your birthday, in mmddyy format. Please enter all 6 digits including zeros.