Effective fall quarter 2009, Running Start students attending community and technical colleges must pay mandatory college and/or student voted fees as established by the community and technical college. Colleges must, however, waive mandatory college and/or student-voted fees for eligible low-income Running Start students. (Established by the Washington State Legislature: RCW 28A.600.310 as amended by Chapter 450, Laws of 2009, ESHB 2119.)
Eligibility and Application for Fee Waiver:
A Running Start student shall be considered low-income and eligible for a fee waiver upon proof that the student is currently qualified to receive free or reduced-price meals through the National School Lunch Program/School Breakfast Program administered by the K-12 public school district. To apply, complete the attached application and submit a copy of the Free and Reduced Status Letter from the school district and obtain a signature verifying eligibility from the school district official.
Other acceptable documentation for fee waiver:
1) Student has been deemed eligible for free or reduced-price lunches in the last five years.
2) Student is a foster youth.
1) Supply waiver documentation and signature.
2) Notify Running Start staff of family financial changes that may result in waiver eligibility.
3) Pay mandatory fees if not eligible for low-income waiver.
A copy of the fee waiver application may be found here.
Please feel free to contact Holly Bringman at 509.682.6848 or Maria Christina Ortega at 509.682.6855 with any questions you may have.