Running Start at Omak
The COMPASS placement test assesses math, reading, and writing levels; students must pass at least one section to qualify for Running Start.
To sign-up for the COMPASS, call the administration office at (509) 422-7808 at WVC Omak. The fee for COMPASS is $24.00 and must be paid at the front office prior to taking the test (the fee can also be paid over the phone with a credit or debit card, call (509) 422.7803). The student must identify him- or herself as a potential RS student.
- Arrive 15 minutes early for the test. COMPASS will take approximately two and a half hours.
- Please bring your Social Security Number with you, a No.2 pencil and a calculator to the test (we will not supply calculators for students, however, all math problems can be done without a calculator). IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, A NUMBER WILL BE ASSIGNED FOR TESTING PURPOSES.
- Testing may be done prior to the Running Start Orientation. See RS High School Mandatory Orientation Schedule for dates.
COMPASS TESTING IN OMAK
Monday-Thursday, 8:30 am and 1:30 pm, Administration Office
SUMMER COMPASS TESTING IN OMAK
Monday-Thursday, 8:30 am and 1:30 pm; for summer location, call (509) 422-7803
PROHIBITED CALCULATOR LIST
If you choose to bring your own calculator, the following are not allowed at the COMPASS:
- Casio: CFX-9970G, CFX-9970GE, Algebra fx 2.0
- Texas Instruments: TI-89, TI-92, TI-92 plus
- Hewlett Packard: HP-40G and HP-49G
- Pocket organizers
- Handheld or laptop computers
- Electronic writing pads or pen-input devices
- Calculators with a typewriter (QWERTY) keypad.
- Calculators built into cellular phones or other wireless communication device
RUNNING START GUIDELINES
*COMPASS Score-General Information
If a student does not pass any of the three sections, they must return to their high school and wait six months before retaking the test.
If a student passes only one or two sections, they will be allowed to retake, on the COMPASS, those sections they did not pass after a three month waiting period.
COMPASS Score in Writing and Reading
Students that pass the placement exam with a COMPASS score of an 78 or higher in Writing will qualify into English 101(English Composition).
Students that pass the placement exam with a COMPASS score of an 72 or higher in Reading will qualify for courses in the Humanities, Social Sciences, and Sciences distribution areas.
COMPASS Score in Math
For Running Start students, placement in Math is as follows: 71 and higher COMPASS score.
Math courses that students may qualify into include the following:
- Math 105 (College Algebra)
- Math 108 (Mathematical Reasoning)
- Math 141 (Pre-Calculus)
- Math 151 (Calculus)
- Math 200 (Finite Mathematics)
- Math 148 (Business Calculus)
- Math 146 (Introduction to Stats)
- Math 211 (Linear Algebra)
For sample questions and more information about the COMPASS visit the ACT web site at http://www.act.org/compass
Running Start Checklist
- Attend Running Start Orientation at your high school.
- Sign up for COMPASS.
- Take Placement Exam
Students who qualify will receive further instruction on the admission process and registration for classes.
Orientation and COMPASS must be completed prior to that date.
Livia Millard, Imillard@wvc.edu, Student Services Coordinator
(509) 422-7814 or (509) 422-7803
(509) 442-7801 Fax
(877) 982-4968 Toll Free