Welcome to WVC! To return to the homepage simply click on the WVC logo at the top left corner of any page.
Home | About | Contact | News | Programs | Site Index | Español  

Public Disclosure
Student Grades
Get Started Now!

Student Records and Grades

Changes to Address, Phone Number, or E-mail

Changes to your address, phone number(s), or e-mail address can be made either by completing a Records Change form or through the Student Kiosk. You will need your SID and global PIN to use the Kiosk. The Records change form must be signed and can be mailed, faxed, or brought in to the Admissions counter. Name changes must be done in person with picture ID.

Grades and Grade Policy

WVC does not mail out grades to students at the end of each quarter.  To access your grades, use the Unofficial Transcript function on the Student Kiosk. 

Note: Financial aid eligibility and veterans’ benefits may be affected by the application of some of these policies (e.g., withdrawal from class, incomplete grade, auditing a class, etc.). Please contact the financial aid office and your adviser if you are considering a change in your class schedule.

Grading System

Grades used in computing grade point average are:

Grade...... Point Value

A............... 4.0

A-.............. 3.7

B+............. 3.3

B .............. 3.0

B-.............. 2.7

C+............. 2.3

C .............. 2.0

C-.............. 1.7

D+............. 1.3

D .............. 1.0

D-.............. 0.7*

F .............. 0.0

Grades not used in computing grade point average are:

P............ Pass

Y............ Work in Progress

W........... Withdrawal

N............ Audit

I.............. Incomplete

NP.......... No Pass

*............. Removed Grade

“Pass” definition: A grade of C or higher earns a pass; a lower grade earns a no pass, provisional pass or an F.

* The D- letter grade will no longer be assigned at Wenatchee Valley College after Spring Quarter 2012.

Calculating Your GPA

Your GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of credit hours completed. Here’s an example:

Class #1     5 credits.  Grade is an A (value of 4.0).  Gradepoints=5x4=20

Class #2     4 credits.  Grade is a B (value of 3.0).  Gradepoints=4x3=12

Class #3     5 credits.  Grade is a C (value of 2.0).  Gradepoints=5x2=10


This gives you a total of 14 credits and 42 gradepoints.  Therefore, your GPA would be:

      42 gradepoints / 14 credits = 3.00


Students may enroll in classes on a pass/fail basis by submitting a written request to the admissions/registration office by the 10th day of the quarter. Students who complete these courses satisfactorily receive a “P” on their transcripts. Students who fail to complete the courses satisfactorily receive an “F.”

Students are cautioned against taking courses in their major or minor on a pass/fail basis. In most cases, a maximum of 10 pass/fail credits may be applied toward degree requirements at WVC.

Grade Change

A change of grade must be executed within two quarters, excluding summer, after the grade is earned. Initiating a grade change is the student’s responsibility. The course may still be repeated for a different grade after the deadline for grade changes has passed.  Contact the course instructor to discuss the process for grade changes.

Work in Progress

The “Y” designation indicates that a student is registered in an ongoing class. It may be used where the pace of work is largely dependent on the student in courses such as independent project classes or open laboratory/clinic classes. If you do not complete the class within one year, you must re-enroll if you want credit.


A “W” designation indicates that a student has dropped a class. The last day of each quarter to withdraw from classes is specified on the official Academic Calendar. Complete information on withdrawing from a class is available in the admissions/registration office.

Instructors have the authority to administratively withdraw a student who does not attend class during the first two days that the class meets. Students are responsible for withdrawing from classes. Failure to formally withdraw from class will normally result in a failing grade. You can withdraw through Web Registration on the Student Kiosk.  You can also download a Drop/Add Form to bring in to the admissions/registration office.


The “N” designation indicates that a student has elected to take a class with the understanding that no credit will be earned and no grade given. Students who choose to audit a class do not have to take the tests, but the instructor may require reasonable attendance and class participation. Full tuition and fees are charged for classes taken on an audit basis. Changes from credit to audit are permitted until the end of the 30th day of instruction. The instructor’s written approval is required after the fifth day of instruction.  You will need to turn a completed Drop/Add form, with the instructors signature, into the admissions office to change a class to an audit status.


The “I” designation indicates that a student has been granted extra time by the instructor to complete required course work. Terms of completion are specified in a contract signed by the student and instructor. It is the student’s responsibility to initiate this contract. Contract forms are available in the admissions office.  The maximum length of a contract is two quarters, excluding summer. An “I” grade is changed to an “F” if the terms of the contract are not met within the time specified.

Pass/No Pass

The “P” or “NP” designation may be given in developmental classes. A “C” grade or higher earns a “pass”; anything lower earns a grade of “no pass.


Student Record Retention

Records pertaining to student activities related to admissions and registration (i.e., WVC transcripts and grades, schedule changes, graduation, etc) are to be maintained per the General Retention Schedule supplied by the Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges.  In many cases WVC practice for record retention exceeds the minimum requirements set forth in this state Retention Schedule. 

Setting Aside of Low Grades for GPA Calculations (as of Fall 2005)

This provision permits students to remove poor academic records that no longer reflect the students’ current academic performance. Only petitions to set aside all grades in a particular quarter will be considered.  This option is not available for singular courses within a quarter.  Grades that are set aside are not removed from the student’s transcript.  Rather, an “*” notation is placed next to the grade which indicates that the course will no longer be used when calculating a new cumulative grade point average.  Credits that are set aside can not be used to fulfill any requirements for graduation.  Please note that Federal Financial Aid regulations do not recognize grade “set asides”.   Students may only petition for a set aside provision twice during their time at WVC.  Students may petition to set aside a quarter which has at least one grade that is a C- or lower OR where the quarterly GPA is below 2.0.


Two consecutive quarters of full-time class work with a GPA of 2.0 or better is required as evidence of a student’s changed scholastic performance. Part-time students can qualify for low-grade removal by completing 30 consecutive college-level credits with at least a 2.0 GPA. At least two calendar years must pass before a grade(s) can be changed under this provision. Exceptions to these procedures can be made by petition to the Academic Regulations Committee. Only grades earned at WVC can be set aside under this policy.  Petition forms are available in the student services offices.  Completed petition forms should be returned to the Vice President of Student Services.


Caution:  Although WVC makes provisions for setting aside past grades for the purposes of GPA calculation, do not assume that other colleges you transfer to will compute your GPA in the same manner.   They may accept the credits and use the set aside grades for their calculations.  WVC can only set aside grades earned at WVC.  We can not set aside grades from other colleges. 

Repeating a Course

You may repeat any course. Only the credit and grade earned in the last attempt are calculated in your GPA, unless the course description in the WVC Catalog specifically states you can repeat the course for credit.  Courses repeated for credit, however, do not normally count toward the completion of a degree or certificate.  Repeated courses will be designated with an "R" next to the grade on the transcript.

This only applies to courses taken at WVC.  Courses taken at other colleges can not be used to repeat a class on your WVC transcript. 


A President’s List and a Dean’s List are compiled at the end of each quarter to recognize outstanding student achievement. Honorees are announced publicly. In order to qualify, you must meet the following criteria:

  Earn at least 12 credits in courses numbered 100 or above.

   (“I,” “P,” “PP” and “Y” designations do not count toward the 12-credit minimum.)

  Earn a 4.0 GPA for the President’s List.

  Earn a 3.5 - 3.99 GPA for the Dean’s List.

Honors are listed at graduation for students with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.

Students who carry at least 12 college level credit hours and have a cumulative college level GPA of 3.2 or higher are eligible to join the local chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, the national community college honor society. Phi Theta Kappa encourages scholarship, leadership and service. Members of Eta Rho (Wenatchee campus) and Alpha Kappa Eta (Omak campus) are active at the local, state, regional and international levels.


Academic Standards Procedure


The Academic Standards Procedure at WVC has been established to ensure that the college resources are used in the best interest of all current and future students. The procedure helps to ensure that students with academic difficulties are made aware of the many educational resources available to them. You are encouraged to assume responsibility for your own academic progress.

The three levels of unsatisfactory academic performance are Warning, Probation and Suspension.

Academic Warning

A student attempting six (6) or more graded credits will be placed on Academic Warning when his or her cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. Students on Warning status will receive a letter advising them of their academic standing. The transcript will be endorsed "Academic Warning." Students will remain on this status until their cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher.

Academic Probation

If a student who is on Academic Warning attempts six (6) or more graded credits for a second time, and his or her quarterly GPA falls below 2.0, they will be placed on Academic Probation. Students on Academic Probation will receive a letter informing them of their academic standing, and their transcript will be endorsed "Academic Probation." Students will remain on Probation status until their cumulative GPA is 2.0 or higher.

Academic Suspension (revised December 2010)

If a student on Academic Probation attempts six (6) or more graded credits, and his or her quarterly GPA falls below 2.0, they will be placed on Academic Suspension. Students on Academic Suspension will receive a letter informing them of their academic status, and their transcript will be endorsed "Academic Suspension." Suspended students will be dropped from any classes they are enrolled in for the upcoming academic quarter(s). Students returning from Academic Suspension will be required to complete the following:

  1. Submit a completed petition for readmission form to the student services office.
  2. Complete a readmission interview with a counselor.
    During the interview, you should be prepared to:
    •    Identify the reasons for poor academic performance.
    •    Present a plan for eliminating the factors contributing to poor academic performance.
    •    Review your educational goals.
    •    Present an educational plan that includes proposed course schedules for the next one to three quarters and how those courses relate to an educational goal.
  3. Be reinstated by the college.

Academic Forgiveness

If you stop attending WVC while on Academic Warning, Probation or Suspension status, you will remain at that level for a period of at least three years (or 12 academic quarters). If during that time you have not returned to WVC, your student records will be updated to remove you from your previous academic deficiency status.

Academic Regulations Committee (ARC)

Petitions for waivers of college policies are initially reviewed by the WVC Registrar. Such petitions may include, but are not limited to:

  • Late changes in class status (i.e., credit to audit, past quarterly deadline withdraw)
  • Set aside of low grades from previous quarters
  • Substitution of graduation requirements
  • Taking more than 18 credits in one quarter

After reviewing the petition, the registrar will either make a ruling on the petition or forward it to the appropriate WVC administrator for further review/ruling.

Petitions for readmission after an academic suspension are reviewed by a WVC counselor.

All petitions must be in writing and submitted on the appropriate form, available online or through the admissions/registration office.

After the initial decision on a petition is made, the student can appeal this decision to the WVC Academic Regulations Committee. Filing for an appeal is completed through the student development office.

All appeals must be in writing. Petitioners may appear in person before the committee but are not required to do so. It is the responsibility of the student to be fully aware of the policies and procedures that govern a specific program in which the student is seeking enrollment or is currently enrolled.


Matters of academic dishonesty such as cheating or plagiarism are referred to the chief student services officer or designee. More information on disruptive behavior and the WVC Discipline Code is detailed in the student handbook that is available through the student programs office.


1300 Fifth Street, Wenatchee, WA 98801
Phone: (509) 682-6800
Public Disclosure | Voter Registration
Disablity Services Disability Services

Donate Today!

116 West Apple Ave., Omak, WA 98841
Phone: (509) 422-7800

Last Modified: