Welcome to WVC! To return to the homepage simply click on the WVC logo at the top left corner of any page.
Home | About | Contact | News | Programs | Site Index | Español  

Contact Information
Disability Services Home
DSS Responsibilities
Grievance Process
Service Animals
Services and Access
Student Responsibilities
WVC Responsibilities
Get Started Now!

Frequently Asked Questions


Am I eligible for Services?


What kind of documentation do I need to have for alternative testing?


Students rights and responsibilities?


Can I have tutoring services?


What services are available?


Are online classes easier than traditional classes?


Will DSS pay for my classes?




Am I eligible for services?


You would be eligible for services and may receive accommodations through the special populations office if you:


  • Have a physical, mental or sensory impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities:
  • Are perceived to have such an impairment;
  • Have a record of such impairment or have an abnormal condition that is medically recognizable or diagnosable.



What kind of documentation do I need for alternative testing?


  • Students who request alternative testing must have verifying documentation that shows a clear need for extended time testing and any other testing accommodation like a scribe or reader, etc.  (See our eligibility/documentation link)



  • The process to establish your eligibility begins when you provide the special populations office with documentation that gives a diagnosis and description of your disability. The documentation can be hand-carried, faxed or mailed to:

                        Special Populations Office

C/o Carla Boyd

Wenatchee Valley College

1300 5th Street

Wenatchee, WA 98801


The FAX number is (509) 682-6841  (Attention: Carla Boyd)


We will look for the following information when establishing your eligibility for services. Please share this list with your physician or the professional who can document your disability.



  •  Diagnosis

Must be stated clearly and be supported by additional information.  The special populations coordinator/DSS can provide a form for the documenting professional to complete that will give us comprehensive information. 


  • Recommendations

The documenting professional may provide recommendations for specific accommodations or services, but the special populations coordinator/DSS reserves the right to make the final decision.


Learning Disability Assessment must include:


  • Current assessment including an IQ test and achievement test scores (WAIS-R)
  • Achievement test scores (Woodcock Johnson)
  • Raw data and interpretation
  • Specific recommendations for accommodations based on the interpreted tests may be included, but the Special Populations Coordinator/DSS reserves the right to make the final decision.


You should bring documentation from a qualified professional specialist, according to the type of disability as shown in the following chart:


Disability Category Professionals to be Consulted  
ADD/ADHD Psychologist, Psychiatrist, or Diagnosing Physician
Emotional Disability Psychologist, Psychiatrist
Visual Impairment Ophthalmologist
Hearing Impairment Audiologist
Learning Disability Psychologist, Neurophysiologist, Learning Disabilities Specialist
Physical Disability Physician




What are my rights and responsibilities?


  • Contact the special populations coordinator/disability support services and identify yourself as an individual with a qualifying disability
  • Provide qualifying documentation regarding your disability
  • Request specific services or reasonable accommodations/auxiliary aids
  • Request those accommodations and services early before the quarter begins
  • Present the accommodation forms to each of your instructors each quarter
  • Arrange your testing dates/times if you qualify for testing accommodations and informing your instructors you have done so
  • Communicate with the special populations coordinator about academic or accommodation problems
  • Meet the academic standards expected of all students
  • Be responsible to take care of any adaptive equipment you have checked out for the quarter and return it when finished with each quarter or otherwise arranged.




Are tutoring services available?


Wenatchee Valley College has a free tutor center that is available to all students. The hours are 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday and 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. on Fridays.  It is located upstairs in the John A. Brown Library.  There is elevator access. Tutors are available to assist with various subjects including accounting, biology, chemistry, math, physics and Spanish.



What services are available?


  • Accessible facilities
  • Disability parking
  • Note taking support
  • Reader/scribe for tests
  • Extended test time
  • Text on tape
  • Large print
  • Alternative testing
  • Sign Language Interpreter
  • Priority registration
  • Adjustable furniture
  • Alternative test location
  • Assistive technology




Are online classes easier than traditional classes?


Online classes are reading intensive and require self-monitoring and motivation. Some students find it difficult to take online classes because there are not as many opportunities to get clarification from instructors. Others like taking classes online because they have mobility or distraction issues that make it easier for them to work from home.



Will DSS/special populations office pay for my classes?


The special populations office does not provide funding for classes. We do refer students to campus and community programs that have funding resources and we have scholarship opportunities in this office.


1300 Fifth Street, Wenatchee, WA 98801
Phone: (509) 682-6800
Public Disclosure | Voter Registration
Disablity Services Disability Services

Donate Today!

116 West Apple Ave., Omak, WA 98841
Phone: (509) 422-7800

Last Modified: