Welcome to WVC! To return to the homepage simply click on the WVC logo at the top left corner of any page.
Home | About | Contact | News | Programs | Site Index | Español  

Additional Information
Application Checklist
Award Information
Change of Address
Cost of College
Current Announcements
Email Communication
Financial Aid Application
Financial Aid Calculator
Financial Aid Policies
Financial Aid Portal
Financial Aid Videos
Home Page
Opportunity Grant 
Refund Information
Summer Quarter
Types of Financial Aid
Veterans Programs
Worker Retraining
WVC FAFSA School Code
Get Started Now!

Financial Aid Policies




To be eligible for financial aid, federal regulations require students to make satisfactory progress in an eligible degree or certificate program. Students must be in good academic standing with Wenatchee Valley College and the policy applies to all quarters of enrollment regardless if financial aid was received or not. All credits attempted at WVC will be considered when determining Academic Progress.


If students do not meet the requirements, they will be placed on financial aid warning or terminated from financial aid. If placed on warning, students must make satisfactory progress in their next quarter of enrollment or their financial aid eligibility will be terminated. Eligibility can be reinstated using one of the options in this policy. Specific requirements for probation status are listed below.


General Policy Requirements

  • Achieve and maintain the required grade point average
  • Complete the minimum required credits
  • Complete a degree or certificate within the maximum attempted credits allowed 





Students must maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) as established by the college.In general, a student must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA. The Registrar monitors both cumulative and quarterly GPA and will take action according to college academic policy.




To establish and maintain eligibility for financial aid, students must pass a minimum number of credits each quarter and a minimum number of credits for the academic year, whether or not they receive aid.Generally, students must pass half-time credits for each quarter and the equivalent credits related to enrollment/financial aid status by the end of the academic year. If a student fails all of their classes or withdraws from all of their classes, they may be required to repay some of the financial aid they received.


Completion of credits

If you receive financial aid for enrolling:

You must complete:

Warning status if you only complete:

Cancellation status if you complete less than

Full-time (12+ credits)

12 credits/quarter

6-11 credits/quarter

6 credits/quarter

¾ -time (9-11 credits)

9 credits/quarter

6-8 credits/quarter

6 credits/quarter

½ -time (6-8 credits)

6 credits/quarter

no probation available

6 credits/quarter

Less than 6 credits

All credits registered

no probation available

All credits registered

Grades of I (incomplete), N (audit), V (unofficial withdrawal), F (fail), W (withdrawal) and NP (no credit) do not count as completed credits. Note: audited classes are not allowed if receiving financial aid.

a) Quarterly: Students are expected to complete the credits for which they enroll. Credits completed will be reviewed each quarter and status will be determined according to the chart above. (Two consecutive warning quarters will result in termination of aid. Students are reinstated after an approved appeal and are placed on probation status at the time they are reinstated.  If a student does not make progress in the next quarter of reinstatement, they will be terminated again.)

b) Annual: The annual requirement is based on the student’s enrollment and aid received. Generally, a student who attempts full-time enrollment all three quarters (i.e. Fall, Winter, Spring)  must pass at least 36 credits by the end of spring quarter. Students who receive aid as full-time students for four quarters (Fall through Summer) increase their annual credit requirement by one-third or a total of 48 credits.

All credits attempted, (except for ABE and ESL course work) including credits attempted before the student applied for or received financial aid, will be monitored at the end of each academic year or before financial aid is awarded for the academic year.

For more information on the annual credit requirement see below in additional information.



Students can receive financial aid to complete their program of study, up to 125% of the published credits required to complete the program. All attempted courses are counted, including: incompletes, withdrawals, repeated courses and transfer credits regardless if the student was receiving financial aid or not. When students have completed their program or have attempted 125% of the credits in their program they will be ineligible for financial aid. Students in programs with additional required courses to complete the degree or who have exceptional circumstances that prevented them from completing their degree within the time frame can submit an appeal.


Students that need to take required prerequisite credits and other preparatory or developmental courses needed to enter classes in their program can have an exception to the maximum time frame by submitting an appeal to the financial aid office.Please note that the financial aid office and registration office have separate policies and appeal procedures. ESL, ABE and credits below level 100 are not counted in the maximum time frame limit. Students are allowed an attempt of up to 45 credits of remedial coursework only.



Unsatisfactory Academic Progress


When students are in warning status for unsatisfactory academic progress, they must make satisfactory progress in their next quarter of enrollment. Students must complete the credits for which they receive financial aid (see chart above), a minimum of six credits with a 2.0 cumulative GPA. For example, if a student in warning status receives financial aid for 12 or more credits, the student must complete at least 12 credits to be considered as making satisfactory progress. While a student is in warning they may receive the following quarter’s financial aid, but must make up credits within the academic year in order to satisfy year-end requirements.



Students who have two consecutive warning quarters, or who fail to complete the minimum number of credits for which they have registered (see chart above), will be canceled from financial aid. Students who lose eligibility must reinstate their eligibility using one of the two options described below.


Reinstatement of Eligibility

When aid has been canceled due to unsatisfactory progress, students must submit an appeal for reinstatement of financial aid.


Students who believe they had exceptional circumstances beyond their control which prevented them from making satisfactory progress may submit an appeal for reinstatement of eligibility. Students must attach supporting documentation to their appeal before it can be considered.   A student  can complete at least 6 college level credits without the use of financial aid to additionally demonstrate their ability to be academically successful.  This will help to support their appeal request for reinstatement of aid.


If an appeal is denied, students have the right to re-appeal the denial. The re-appeal needs to be submitted in writing and include any additional information or documentation that was not submitted with the original appeal.


After students reinstate their eligibility, they will be on probation status in their next quarter of attendance. While on probation, students must complete all the credits they register for.  Otherwise, they will be suspended again. 


125% Maximum Timeframe

Students who have attempted the maximum of 125% of the credits that are required for a degree or certificate but have not completed their program or degree are considered to not be making satisfactory progress and are ineligible for additional aid. Students with exceptional circumstances may submit an appeal for additional eligibility along with an Educational Plan from their academic advisor. The appeal must explain the exceptional circumstance that prevented them from completing the program within the maximum number of credits. An Educational Plan signed by the advisor and listing the remaining courses required to complete the degree is helpful in making a determination and in some cases may be required. Appeals will be considered only for the remaining required coursework.


Additional Information


Annual Credit Requirement

The annual credit requirement is for all students that are receiving financial aid or wish to apply for financial aid. The annual credit requirement is based on an expectation for successfully completed credits according to the student’s enrollment or the aid received. Students who attempt full-time enrollment all three quarters in the regular academic year (fall, winter and spring quarters) must pass at least 36 credits by the end of spring quarter; students who enroll for fewer than three quarters (but are full-time) must pass the appropriate fraction of the full year expectation. Students who receive aid as full-time students for four quarters (Fall through Summer) increase their annual credit requirement by one-third.To meet the annual credit requirement, students are expected to have passed full time (12) credits for any quarter attempted as full time (regardless of the aid received), plus nine credits for any three-quarter time student receiving Federal Pell or State Need Grant for the quarter, plus half-time credits (6) for each quarter attempted as half-time, plus all the credits attempted for each quarter of less than half-time enrollment. The credit requirement is based on enrollment or the aid received, whichever carries the greater requirement each quarter, but will not exceed 36, unless the student receives more than three full-time quarters of aid.






If you enroll full time or receive aid based on full-time enrollment for the regular academic year (fall, winter and spring quarters), the basic minimum credit requirement applies to you--36 credits. You must complete these credits by the end of spring quarter or your eligibility for financial aid is canceled. This requirement applies to all students, whether they receive aid or not. Aid recipients must satisfy additional requirements to remain eligible. If you receive financial aid for a quarter, your credit requirement includes that quarter, whether you enroll or not. If the loan period for your Direct Loan includes a particular quarter, your credit requirement also includes that quarter (e.g., even if you receive your aid in winter quarter, if the aid was for fall and winter, you are expected to do the credit requirement for both quarters). If you receive financial aid for summer quarter as well as for the academic year, your credit requirement is increased.


What if I attend only one or two quarters?

If you enroll full-time for only one quarter of a year, you must pass at least 12 credits that quarter to retain your aid eligibility. If you enroll two quarters, you must pass at least 24 credits.


What if I attend part-time?

If you enroll half time (6-11 credits), you must pass the minimum half-time credit load for that quarter (6). If, however, you enroll and receive Federal Pell or State Need Grant as a three-quarter time student, you must pass nine credits for the quarter. If you enroll for less than half time (1-5 credits), you must pass all the credits attempted for that quarter.


What happens to the credits I earn summer quarter?

If you receive financial aid for summer quarter, your annual credit requirement includes summer quarter. Thus, if you enroll full time for the rest of the academic year, you must pass 48 credits by the end of the summer quarter. If you receive no financial aid for summer quarter and enroll full time for the full regular academic year, the credits you earn summer may contribute to the following academic year’s annual credit requirement. Thus, if you complete five credits summer, those five credits may be included in the previous year’s 36 credit requirement.


Second Program

Generally, students will receive financial aid for only one degree program at WVC.To request funding for a second degree, a student will need to submit an appeal along with an Educational Plan including credit evaluation and transferability of credits from the first degree to the second degree. If the appeal is denied, a student is not eligible for financial aid, but may be able to apply for private loans through an independent lender.


Transfer Students

Credits from prior schools that are accepted and applied towards a degree or certificate at WVC will be counted in the total maximum attempted credit limit of eligibility for at WVC. Until an official Transfer Credit Evaluation is completed by an advisor or the admissions office, all prior credits will be assumed to be transferable.


Withdrawal/Unofficial Withdrawal [Repayment of financial aid]

Students who withdraw from classes after receiving financial aid including student loans may be required to repay funds back to the financial aid program(s). Unpaid amounts due will be referred for collection to the appropriate agency including the U.S. Department of Education. Students are ineligible for financial aid until the aid is repaid, including payment of all legal costs associated with the collections. Withdrawing from some classes before the 10th day of instruction for the quarter, may also result in repayment of financial aid.


Financial Aid Office1300 Fifth St.Wenatchee,WA.98801

Phone 509-682-6810Fax: 509-682-6811rev 5.4.11

1300 Fifth Street, Wenatchee, WA 98801
Phone: (509) 682-6800
Public Disclosure | Voter Registration
Disablity Services Disability Services

Donate Today!

116 West Apple Ave., Omak, WA 98841
Phone: (509) 422-7800

Last Modified: