Medical Assistant (MA)
The WVC Medical Assistant program is a four-quarter, limited-enrollment program that prepares individuals to support health care professionals in a variety of health care settings. The program classes are held in the evening M-Th and Saturdays from 8am-5pm. The MA performs duties in both direct patient care (assisting with patient examinations and treatments, administering medication, and monitoring patient response) and medical office management (maintaining medical records, scheduling appointments, and handling insurance and billing procedures). Students who successfully complete the MA program will receive a certificate of completion and, once employed, will be eligible for certification as MAs.
The WVC Medical Assistant program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB). Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs 25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158 Clearwater, FL 33763 727-210-2350 www.caahep.org
The MAERB requires all accredited programs to publish information on program outcomes data that are reported annually as part of the accreditation process. The published outcome data must be the five-year weighted average for the program.
Retention five-year average 2010-2014: 95.97%
This outcome measures how many entering students stay enrolled in the program to completion.
Duties and Competencies
The MA program prepares you to support health-care professionals in a variety of health-care settings. The MA performs duties in both direct patient care and administrative procedures. Graduates of the WVC MA program will:
- Demonstrate caring and respectful communication as a MA
- Demonstrate competence in administrative duties as a MA
- Demonstrate competence in clinical duties as a MA
- Practice medical assisting collaboratively
- Obtain employment in a variety of healthcare settings
- Incorporate critical thinking in practice as a MA
- Demonstrate standard safety and emergency practices and procedures as a MA
- Display professionalism in their appearance, job performance, and ability to work as team members
- Provide patient education and current community resource information
- Practice medical assisting according to AAMA Code of Ethics
To explore occupations and find related career information go to www.mynextmove.gov.