Welcome to WVC! To return to the homepage simply click on the WVC logo at the top left corner of any page.
Home | About | Contact | News | Programs | Site Index | Español  


Running Start Home
Running Start Handbook
Prospective Students
  -  Who Qualifies?
  -  What to Consider First
  -  How to Enroll
  -  Orientations
  -  Compass Testing
  -  Student Fees
Current Students
  -  Calendar
Transfer Resources
 University Admissions
  -  Transferring Credit
  -  University Scholarships
Home/Private School
Parent Information
College in the High School
Get Started Now!

Running Start
Home and Private Schooled Students

Home schooled and private schooled students seeking credit through Running Start must enroll through their local public school district or high school. Please use the steps below to ensure proper enrollment.*


1.   Meet with a school district.

Parents must meet with a school district official at the district office.


2.   District determines grade placement.

The school district official will need to determine grade placement. All students must be declared as junior or senior standing in high school to access Running Start. Some school districts consider age appropriateness; others review credits and prior learning. In other cases, a standardized achievement test may be used in the absence of adequate documentation of a student's home-based education.


3.   Complete Intent to Home School form.

Once grade placement is established, parents will need to complete an Intent to Home School form (this includes private schooled students) that will be filed at the district office.


4.   Bring a copy of the Intent to Home School form to Running Start.

An additional copy of the Intent to Home School form must be given to the Running Start Office. Students will not be allowed to register for courses until the form is on file.


5.   High School Diploma Options.

Once students are enrolled with the local school district they are considered a public high school student. However, they are not required to meet the high school graduation requirements. If home schooled and private schooled students are interested in seeking a high school diploma through Wenatchee Valley College please refer to the below information.



SHB 1758: Expanding options for students to earn high school diplomas. Effective July 26, 2009

An individual enrolled through Running Start who satisfactorily completes an associate degree, including an associate of arts degree, associate of science degree, associate of technology degree, or associate in applied science degree, shall be awarded a state high school diploma from the college upon written request from the student (these individuals are not required to complete the State Board of Education's graduation requirements).


*Please note that this process may vary slightly depending on the school district.

1300 Fifth Street, Wenatchee, WA 98801
Phone: (509) 682-6800
Public Disclosure | Voter Registration
Disablity Services Disability Services

Donate Today!

116 West Apple Ave., Omak, WA 98841
Phone: (509) 422-7800

Last Modified: