Celebration planned for 100th anniversary of Wells House
Wenatchee Valley College, the Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center, and the Wells House Committee are planning a celebration of the historic Wells House on Sunday, Oct. 11, 2009, and are interested in contacting people who attended classes or lived in the house, or used the house for weddings, receptions, or other special occasions.
People with a Wells House connection are asked to contact Katie White, WVC communications and alumni coordinator, at 509.682.6420 or email@example.com.
The three-story house was built on Fifth Street in 1909 by pioneer promoter W.T. Clark using stone from the Columbia River. Known as Clark’s Cobblestone Castle or Clark’s Pebble Castle, the building includes a tower with a turret on the southeast corner. In 1919, A.Z. and Imogene Wells purchased the house, where they resided until 1949 when they deeded their estate to the Wenatchee School District for Wenatchee Junior College.
The administration and library were located on the first floor; five bedrooms on the second floor served as classrooms; and the third floor served as a girls dormitory. A cafeteria and offices were located in the basement.
In 1973, Wells House was placed on the National Register of Historic Sites. By that time, the college was no longer using the building and in the mid-seventies, the house was deeded to the Wells House Committee, Inc., a group of volunteers whose goal was the restoration and preservation of Wells House for cultural and historic purposes. The volunteers have repaired and cared for the house for more than 30 years.
Today, WVC manages the house for receptions, weddings and special college events.
An open house will be held to celebrate the centennial of the building of Wells House from 2 to 5 p.m. on Oct. 11. Refreshments will be served and the public is invited to attend this free event.
Getting there: In Wenatchee travelling on Ninth Street, turn south on Nelson Street. Nelson leads directly to parking near the Wells House.