500.010 EMPLOYEE DEFINITIONS POLICY
A. CLASSIFIED POSITIONS (Governed by Applicable WAC Rules)
- Full-time permanent employee: An employee who has successfully completed a probationary period at the college within the current period of employment and is scheduled to work 40 hours per week.
- Part-time permanent employee: An employee who has successfully completed a probationary period at the college within the current period of employment and is scheduled to work 20 or more hours per week, but less than full-time.
- Probationary employee: A non-permanent employee in the initial six to 12 months of employment in a class, following appointment from an eligibility list.
- Temporary employee: An employee hired to work in the absence of an employee on leave or to perform extra work required at workload peak, special projects or cyclic workloads. Temporary employees may not exceed 1050 hours in any twelve consecutive month period from the original date of hire or October 1, 1989, whichever is later. Since these employees are not selected through the normal recruitment process and are not certified from an approved eligibility list, they have no appeal rights, unless they exceed the 1050-hour limit.
- Cyclic year employee: An employee scheduled to work less than 12 full months each year, due to known, recurring periods in the annual cycle when the employee is not needed.
B. FACULTY (Governed by AHE Contract) AND EXEMPT STAFF
- Faculty appointment: (see AHE contract).
- Exempt staff appointment: Appointment to a position determined to be exempt from the classified service, and meeting the criteria for exemption established in RCW 41.06.070 (2) (a).
Originally adopted by the board of trustees: 9/12/01
Revised formatting and renumbered from 500.000
Adopted by the board of trustees: 9/19/07
Last reviewed: 8/30/19
Policy contact: Human Resources
Related policies and procedures
None identified at this time