Default Font Size Icon

Associate of Arts and Sciences Direct Transfer Agreement

Most students who plan to transfer to a university choose this option. With careful planning, you can transfer to most four-year institutions with your general education requirements and premajor course work completed. The direct transfer agreement (DTA) degree introduces students to the major areas of knowledge--the humanities and fine arts, the natural sciences, the social sciences, and mathematics.

This degree is designed specifically to transfer with junior standing to participating colleges and universities in Washington state. It fulfills most, if not all, general education requirements at the accepting institutions.

Following are degree requirements for the associate of arts and sciences degree. You must complete at least 90 credit hours in college transfer courses numbered 100 and above with a minimum college grade point average of 2.0.

  • Communication skills: 10 credits
  • Quantitative skills: 5 credits
  • Humanities: 15 credits
  • Natural sciences: 15 credits
  • Social sciences: 15 credits
  • Diversity requirement: 5 credits
  • Electives: 30 credits minimum; no more than 15 credits of "restricted electives." 

General Degree Requirements

  • Your degree must have a minimum of 90 credits.
  • You must earn a minimum of 30 credits at WVC.
  • After leaving WVC, you may apply a maximum of 15 credits earned from another school toward a WVC degree.
  • If degree requirements change, you have three years from the time of the change to complete the previous requirements, unless state requirements mandate changes before that time frame.
  • You must earn a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or above for all degrees/certificates.
  • You must satisfy all financial obligations before a WVC degree will be awarded.
  • You must submit an application for graduation to the admissions office. Applications for fall-quarter graduation are due by December 1; for winter quarter by March 1; and for spring quarter by May 1. Forms are available in the admissions office.
  • You are responsible for knowing your graduation requirements. You may submit written requests for status reviews to the graduation evaluator, who will summarize what requirements need to be completed. However, you are ultimately responsible for your own status. Evaluation request forms are available in the admissions office.
  • All fees associated with graduation are valid for one year only.
  • If you request any waiver of graduation requirements, you must submit a written petition to the Academic Regulations Committee.
  • You may take a maximum of 10 credits on a pass/fail basis.

The following guidelines apply to the DTA degree:

  • The college reserves the right to add or delete courses or change the quarter in which courses are offered.
  • Courses that satisfy one requirement of the DTA degree may not be used to satisfy another requirement of the degree.
  • Courses accepted by transfer institutions within a completed DTA degree may not be accepted without the DTA degree.
  • The WVC Academic Regulations Committee may approve courses not found in this catalog for use in satisfying DTA degree requirements.
  • To earn the DTA degree, you must complete at least 90 credit hours in college transfer courses numbered 100 or above. A minimum cumulative grade of 2.0 (C grade) from all colleges attended must be earned in all college-level course work

For students who can't attend during the day, WVC offers evening classes leading to a DTA degree over a two- and three-year cycle. The college also offers distance learning courses that apply to this degree.

Earning an associate (transfer) degree is especially important if you plan to attend a four-year institution with a selective admissions policy. Thanks to the state Intercollegiate Relations Committee agreement, a transfer degree from Wenatchee Valley College guarantees transfer with junior standing to 16 colleges and universities in Washington state. Merely completing two years of schooling at WVC without the degree may not give you all of the necessary courses for junior standing.

Virtually all WVC courses will transfer, but not all undergraduate courses will help with your major. The sooner you select your major and the school to which you wish to transfer, the better you can choose the classes that will be most useful. Each four-year school has its own transfer requirements.

Click here for the printable AAS-DTA Requirements.