Frequently Asked Questions
Student - Log in to your Canvas account:
- To begin logging in, go to the WVC Canvas Login Page
- For your user name, use your student ID number (SID; usually a "905" number)
- For students who started their first quarter on or after Spring 2017, the default password is: the first eight letters of your last name in lower case, with no punctuation. If your last name is less than 8 letters, repeat it up to 8 letters. For example, if last name is Johnson=johnsonj, Lee = leeleele, O'Reilly=oriellyo, King=kingking.
- For students who started their first term prior to Spring 2017 but never changed their password, the default password is: the first six letters of your last name in lower case, with no punctuation.
- Please remember to change your password after you have logged in for the first time!
Faculty - Log in to your Canvas account:
- To begin logging in, go to the WVC Canvas Login Page
- For your user name, use your employee ID number (EID; usually a "905" number)
- Your default password is: wvc_first letters of your last name to complete 8 characters in lower case. For example, if last name is King, the password would be wvc_king (with the last name, this password totals 8 characters). If your last name is not long enough to complete an 8 character password, repeat it up to 8 characters. For example, if your last name is Lee=wvc_leel. If your name is longer than needed to complete an 8 character password, stop at 8 characters. For example, if your last name is Johnson=wvc_john.
- Remember to change your password after logging in the first time.
This depends on the type of help you are seeking.
- Course-specific questions (about course content, assignment due dates, tests, etc): Contact your instructor.
- Canvas Support: See the Canvas Student Guides, file a ticket or ask the Canvas Community.
- Questions about Distance Learning: (509) 682-6718. Check the WVC Distance Learning website.
- Library services: (509)682-6801. Check the WVC Library website.
- Registration/admissions: (509)682-6806.
- WVC Student Technology (student e-mail, wireless connection, computer information, etc): call the Help Desk at (509) 682-6550 during business hours (or the Knight Desk at (509) 682-6700 from 7 p.m. to midnight every night), and/or check the WVC Information Technology page.
Instructors use Canvas to manage online courses. Some of them also use websites at http://commons.wvc.edu/
One of four possible answers may apply:
- Only courses you are taking through WVC will show.
- The course is missing because your instructor hasn’t made it available to students yet.
- The course is not "starred" to your Dashboard. Click on the "Courses" icon, then select "All Courses." Check the list that populates for the class that you are looking for, and make sure that the star next to it has been activated (click on the star if only an outline shows, but no color is filled in). This should bring the course up on your Dashboard.
- You are not officially registered for the course, or have missed a tuition payment. Check with the registrar: (Wenatchee: 509.682.6833; Omak: 509.422.7803)
Your instructor will provide several methods of contact. Use them! Contact your instructor(s) to explain your situation as soon as possible
Some online WVC Online courses are coded as VC and others are codes as WO. There are slight differences in when these courses start and end, drop dates, etc. Generally speaking, online courses run on the same calendar as face-to-face courses. Check the online course schedule.
Courses with section code of VC are taught online by WVC faculty using Canvas and/or instructor website. These courses are only available to WVC students. Courses coded with WO are taught by faculty from other Washington state community colleges. These courses are available to students at several different colleges throughout the state. There are also differences in when these courses start and end; and where to find information about textbooks. See question 10 and 12.
- For courses coded with VC - Books are available through WVC bookstore: Your instructor may also have the ISBN posted in the online classroom. Alternatively, you can click here to check the list of textbooks information.
- For courses coded with WO – You need to order books through the eCampus bookstore. Go to the WashingtonOnline Web site and follow the on-screen instructions on how to look up your textbook information and link to eCampus Bookstore.
Yes. Canvas has tracking capability which keeps a record of your online course activities. Most instructors will also require an initial message and some acknowledgement that you have read and understood the course syllabus.
- Click here to Refer to our Student User Guide for Canvas
- Discuss any concerns with your faculty adviser or the distance learning staff. If necessary, register for "SDS 102 Online Readiness," a 1-credit course that will prepare you to take distance courses at a later date.
- Complete Canvas orientation if you have never used Canvas as an online classroom.
Check the Academic Calendar for online classes to find if you may qualify for a refund, and a last day to withdraw or change to audit.
Usually one week after grades are posted.
Click here to See online advising tools. Contact 509.682.6830 (Wenatchee campus) or 509.422.7849 (Omak campus).
Yes. Whether you are planning to take classes on campus or online, there may be issues of access to web-based instruction and participation that should be explored as early as possible. WVC will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified students with a disability, in accordance with Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act laws, the Rehabilitation ACT of 1973 and Washington State Law. Contact the Special Populations Office 509.682.6854, TTY/TTD 509.682.6853, email: CBoyd@wvc.edu. Providing your name, email and/or phone number will enable Special Population Coordinator to contact you. Visit Disability Services web site.
Use Course Finder tools and make sure you clearly understand the course description and requirements listed in the footnote for each course you want to enroll in. Click here to start registration:
You can access your records online by going to Student Kiosk and choose appropriate options like unofficial transcript, address change, tuition and fee records, etc.
- Go to https://mail.student.wvc.edu/
- Your username is the same as your WVC e-mail address which consists of your first initial, last name and the last four digits of your student ID number followed by @student.wvc.edu Example: the email address of Robert Smith would be RSmith1234@student.wvc.edu
- Your password is your birthday, in mmddyy format. Please enter all 6 digits including zeros.